What I love about this recipie is that its simple, super easy and produces a cupcake that moist, airy and devilishly delicious!
These delightful cupcakes are a Deliciae staple, not only because friends and family love them, I also tend to have all of the ingredients hand - perfect for when my little boy comes to me at the most unearthly hour and says “want chocolate cupcake”. Most of the time I am able to wangle my way out with promises that the cupcakes will be made the very next day but when i’m in a pinch, this recipe always delivers!
check out the video on Deliciae's Youtube channel
For this recipe, you will need:
3/4 Cup All purpose flour
3/4 Cup granulated Sugar
1/2 Cup good quality dark dutch process cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
1/2 cup whey water at room temperature
1/3 cup hot espresso
3 Tbsp avocado oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 egg at room temperature
Yield: 12 cup cakes
A word about Whey: Whey is the liquid left over after milk has been curdled and strained, it is loaded with vitamins and enzymes and the curds can be used to make your own ricotta or cottage cheese. Here’s how to make your own whey at home:
Heat milk until it boils and add a bit of lime juice or vinegar as soon as the milk begins to bubble. Remove it from heat and stir it constantly to encourage the mixture to curdle quickly. Pour the curds inside a cheesecloth or a lined strainer and allow the liquid to drip out. The soft cheese-like substance that remains in the strainer can be used to make ricotta or cottage cheese and the whey water can be used in baked good like this cupcake recipe or waffles, bread..etc.
Here’s a quick run down on making the cupcakes:
- Pre heat oven to 360F
- Prepare your cupcake pan with your liner of choice https://deliciae.ca/?s=cupcake+liner&post_type=product
- In a large bowl, whisk all your dry ingredients namely the flour, sugar, dutch process cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt, to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients - whey water, hot espresso, oil, vanilla extract and the egg. Whisk to combine.
- Pour liquid mixture to dry ingredients and whisk till smooth, being careful not to over mix.
- Insert baking tray into pre heated oven and bake for approximately 18 minutes or until the cupcakes are done.
- Check for doneness by inserting a skewer into the middle of the cupcake, when you draw it out it should come out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to rest for a few minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
Once cooled, frost with chocolate ganache, buttercream or enjoy as is!
Package you cupcakes in style in these gorgeous pink cupcake boxes