Cookies that are not only delicious to taste but are also gorgeous to look at, can elevate any Christmas cookie platter from simple to spectacular!
For this Shortbread recipe, you will need:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, unsifted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour, unsifted
- pinch of salt
Springerle molds of your choice. Molds featured here are:
Pine cone Springerle cookie mold
Small Santa Springerle cookie mold
Yield: 8-16 cookies depending on size.
- In a large mixing bowl, work together the sugar, flour and salt.
- Cut butter into small cubes and add to the flour mixture.
- With your hands or a flexible bench scraper, work the butter into the flour mixture until throughly mixed. Knead the dough on an unfloured board till smooth.
- Dust the mold with flour. Press the dough into the mold.
- Gently release dough from mold by prying edges loose. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and chill in freezer 10 minutes.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes. You may need to adjust baking times based on the size of cookie.
Wrapped individually in cellophane treat bags or boxed and wrapped, these little delights make the sweetest Holiday gifts for bakers, that are way too pretty to eat!